What is Oracle VM?
Oracle VM is a platform that provides a fully equipped environment in which allows your business to better leverage the benefits of virtualization.
This platform allows you to deploy operating systems and application software within a supported virtualization environment. There are three components in Oracle VM:
- Oracle VM Manager: Provides the user interface, which is a web application, to manage Oracle VM Servers, virtual machines, and resources. Oracle VM Manager can be used to:
- Create virtual machines from installation media or from a virtual machine template
- Delete virtual machines
- Power off virtual machines
- Import virtual machines
- Deploy and clone virtual machines
- Perform live migration of virtual machines
- Import and manage ISOs
- Create and manage virtual machine templates
- Create and manage shared virtual disks
- Oracle VM Server: A self-contained virtualization environment designed to provide a lightweight, secure, server-based platform to run virtual machines.
Oracle VM Server is based upon an updated version of the underlying Xen hypervisor technology, and includes Oracle VM Agent.
- Oracle VM Agent: Installed with Oracle VM Server. It communicates with Oracle VM Manager to manage virtual machines.
For this article article we used the below environment:
- one physical machine for Oracle VM Server
- one virtual machine for Oracle VM Manager
This article contains the installation steps for Oracle VM Server. For installation steps for Oracle VM Manager please click here!
To install Oracle VM Server from a CD:
Make sure that the server BIOS is set to boot from CD.
Insert the Oracle VM Server CD into your CD drive (in this case we mounted the ISO)
Boot the server with the Oracle VM Server CD.
The Oracle VM Server screen is displayed.
Oracle VM Server Installation Welcome screen.
CD Found screen.
Language Selection screen.
Keyboard Selection screen
End User License Agreement screen
Partitioning Type screen
Boot Loader Configuration screen
Management Interface screen
Network Interface Configuration screen
Miscellaneous Network Settings screen
Hostname Configuration screen
Time Zone Selection screen
Oracle VM Agent Password screen
Root Password screen
Installation to begin screen
Booting Oracle VM Server
Oracle VM Server status console
Oracle VM Server login console
For more information you can visit https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E20065_01/doc.30/e18548/server.htm.